How AFLW changed the view of Footy for a devoted Blues Supporter

AFLW through the Navy Blue Eyes of Megan Boundy 


I am by no means a writer, but thought I would try my hand at explaining why I love AFLW.

I was a born Carlton Supporter, my grandfather never missed a game, he passed away just before I was born, but the Blues seed was planted in future generations and I’m proud to say 99% of my family are Carlton Supporters.


I was what I would call a one team fan, I would watch or attend all Carlton games, but wasn’t really interested in other teams at all, unless we were playing against them.
When the AFLW started, that all changed, I enjoyed watching all games, I’m not sure why, maybe because it was a part of history being written, maybe because you could just feel the joy radiating off the players, just ecstatic to be out there playing for their team, for the jumper, for the fans.

These ladies have copped so much hate and anger since the AFLW started, which really bothers me as there is no need for it at all, if people don’t like the women playing, don’t watch, I’m not sure why people feel the need to state their opinion on pages and threads dedicated to the AFLW. 

When AFLW started, I was in a relationship with a woman who adores her footy, her knowledge and passion was contagious and it was fun to get swept up in that excitement, and fuelled my interest in other teams.  I now record any game that I can’t watch live, or attend and get really wrapt up in the game play and get excited for every goal, every tackle, every bounce. The skills are improving in massive leaps and bounds from season one to now, people need to remember that the game is shorter than mens, and the VFL started out much the same score wise (with longer games) when it first got up and running.

The womens game is fast paced, they go in hard and commit 100%, I can’t wait to watch how the league progresses as it will only get bigger and better!  Once the conference system is scrapped and there are longer seasons with each team playing each other at least once, it will take off even more.


Thinking back to the first official AFLW game, between Carlton and Collingwood, brings goosebumps still, the atmosphere was electric and you could feel the excitement in that jam packed crowd, that excitement hasn’t really diminished at the games, and the crowd, while barracking for their own team, support and cheer for both teams, I think because they feel how important the game is to the women out there on the field.  Fast forward to the first AFLW game for Richmond, playing against my beloved Blues, I cheered so loud for Sabrina when she kicked the first ever goal for her Tigers in AFLW, witnessing part of history is so exciting, and I am thrilled to be here to see it in person.

I can’t wait to see what the future holds for AFLW.

Megan

Comments